I wish I knew about these Health Benefits of Jaggery before!

Last month I was not feeling well. It was not something new to me but this time it was a bit harsher to tolerate. My digestive system has been pretty messed up despite taking medicines regularly. Perhaps, my body has becomes used to the medicines I usually take. Now, when things went worst, I finally thought of seeing a doctor.

She did some checkup, wrote some tests and medicines, and finally asked me about my daily food habits. I told her that as soon as I get up I drink Tea, and then have Jam and Bread as my breakfast. In lunch, I eat Lentils (Daal) with Rice or Roti and also have some soft drink along with the solid food. And, at dinner time I eat anything that is available and have sweets to complete my meal.

She said, I am sure you are not eating food at the same time every day and I nodded in yes as it was true. She said you need to regularize your meals and include some Jaggery, also known as Desi Gur in your daily diet. Seeing my puzzled face after hearing the word Jaggery, she took out a paper from her desk and told me that perhaps you are unaware of the amazing benefits of eating Jaggery. She wrote some points on the paper and asked me to read it. I would like to share what she wrote on the paper:


Health Benefits of Jaggery (aka Gur)


  • Jaggery flushes out nasty toxins from the body
  • Jaggery aids in digestive problems like constipation
  • Jaggery replenishes essential Vitamins & Minerals in the body
  • As a rich source of Iron, Jaggery helps combat Anemia
  • Jaggery boosts resistance against common flu type infections
  • Jaggery mild down PMS symptoms in women
  • Jaggery can help fight the adverse effects of the pollution on the body

When I was done reading it, she suggestively told me to switch from refined White Sugar to Jaggery permanently to get the best results out of the medicines in the long run.

I was not sure whether something trivial like Jaggery will help me get better, but this thing was coming from an experienced professional so I gave it a try. As soon as I reached home I searched for best Jaggery in India on Google and finally ordered a pack of Jaggery for me from Big Basket.

It has been a month now and I can vouch for the medicinal and nutritional properties of Jaggery. I drink my morning tea with Jaggery and never forget to eat some Jaggery post lunch and dinner meals. I must say Cardamom Jaggery out of many other flavours from Bebe Foods is pretty delicious and also works as a healthy mouth fresher. Thanks to the medicines for helping me cope with my digestive issues instantly but greater thanks to the advice of including Jaggery in my daily diet. Medicines are short term solution but making the right changes to the diet can help achieve permanent health solutions. I am living a healthy life now and also urge you all to take a step towards a healthy life by switching from just carbohydrates rich refined Sugar to the more natural and nutritional sweetener.

Author - Abhishek Chaudhary

 


Comments